We become so serious when we “grow up”.
Here are eight ways we can be more playful everyday:
The curiosity and excitement of a child is something we can really learn from. Sure, I know when it’s your kid peppering you with questions or shrieking uncontrollably you may feel something other than inspired…but I'm talking about that wonderful playfulness that comes with simply being a kid that we lose somewhere along the way.
There is such freedom and joy in that play and life doesn’t need to be so serious. Besides, if we were more playful adults, there would certainly be less road rage.
- Eat cake for lunch. Who said you can’t eat dessert before your meal…or in this case, in the place of your meal. You’ll have plenty of time to burn it off throughout the day.
- Play board games. Old school board games are the best. “Operation” anyone?
- Babysit your friend’s kids. Or trade kids with your friend. Sometimes a change is as good as a rest.
- Surprise someone. Leave an anonymous gift or note for someone you care about when and where they least expect it.
- Choose a daily theme song. Preferably a song from a band you don’t know.
- Visit a playground. Merry-go-round, swings, slides -- bring it on! Consider it a work out.
- Treat yourself. There is no better excuse to do something you enjoy just because you deserve it.
- Be spontaneous. Get in the car, destination unknown and go wherever the road takes you. Don’t worry about the map, gas prices or where you’ll stay. It'll all work out in the end.
How do you think we could be more playful in the everyday?