I recently spent a few days up north, reconnecting with the outdoors in the company of a good friend who appreciates many of the same activities and adventures. Let it be said that as much as I love urban living, it is really important for me to get away periodically to truly relax.
Time in the outdoors recharges me and reminds me of my place in the universe. It keeps me honest about how small I really am. It tells me that Mother Nature is in charge, and to be respected.
With this healthy dose of respect in mind, I enjoy so much of what the outdoors brings. Here are some of the many moments I appreciate that keep it real for me:
- The feeling of the wind at my back when riding my bike
- The crackle of freshly fallen snow beneath my feet
- The bright, rich colours of the trees at the height of Autumn
- The V-shaped formation of birds in flight
- Sitting around a campfire with good friends
- The smell of lilacs, freshly mowed grass and burning wood
- The feeling of waves washing up over my feet on the shoreline
- Lying on a dock with a good book and a cold drink
- The quiet solitude of a sailboat gliding in water
- Falling asleep to the sound of waves rolling in the distance
- Waking up to the sound of birds chirping
- The smell of the air after a rainstorm
- Cuddling in a tent with a loved one
- A picnic atop a mountain top after a tough hike
- The golden majesty of a field of sunflowers
- The small scurry of a chipmunk
- Moonrise illuminating the water as though it believes itself the sun
- The tangible promise that comes with every Spring
- And so many more...
What are some of your favourite moments in nature?