Relationships. Sometimes I think they should come with a manual. Or maybe each one of us should have our own personal manual so that on entering a relationship we could give it to our partner as a means of training for what’s ahead.
I was struck by that thought when listening to the dating challenges of some of my single friends. And I have been there too. Trying to navigate the pitfalls, shortcomings, landmines, and everything in between that comes with the ‘dating scene’.
A friend recently reminded me that before finding my current boyfriend that I had had my share of cynical days…an accumulation of the malaise that comes from too many bad dates and disappointing relationships. It’s awesome when you come through the other side with a happy ending. Interestingly it’s there where you can reflect on what you've learned through the process.
I try not to live with regret. I think that we make the best decisions we can with the information we have, when we are ready and able. But looking back at my own experiences, and listening to those I love struggle with dating challenges, these are a few things I know...
- You deserve respect and all that that implies. Anything less is not enough.
- What is right for one person is not necessarily right for everyone. Know what is important to you in a relationship.
- Playing games is a sure recipe for failure. Don’t waste your time in over analysis.
- Go with the flow. Giving chances can lead to great things. Where would any of us be without the grace of being given a chance?
- Don’t repeat your mistakes. Look at your past and where you could have been better. And be better.
- Believe that there are a lot of good people out there with good intentions.
- Finally, don’t give up. As long as you are getting out there and trying, there is hope.
Though I am not a relationship expert, hopefully there is something here that resonates with you. We’re all in it together!